We believe that building applications based on the Rainforest Framework, Java and XML brings Sun's "Write Once, Run Everywhere" vision into reality.
Below we offer a broad overview of the Rainforest technology. For those who are new to Java and XML we encourage you to first visit the general overview or contact us for a free, live demo with a Janmedia specialist who can explain the technology and answer any questions you may have.
Rainforest Framework's purpose is to provide services for web-based business applications. Built on Sun standard APIs included in J2EE technology, it provides facilities for web applications using servlets and XML including components for: secure data access to a wide range of clients (customers, employees, managers), email connectivity, workflow, resource availability check, logging, event notification, configuration values, and access to other server-side components.
The Rainforest Framework is designed based on Sun J2EE architecture with layers and components, so it is a fully scalable 4-tier solution. It can be installed on any server with an operating system that supports Java 2 Standard Edition. It can be operated on a local area network (LAN/Intranet) or a wide area network (WAN/Internet) connecting multiple applications to one operational network. The system can be installed in an N-tier environment, divided among servers to achieve optimal performance and maximum tolerance.
The strength of Rainforest Framework lays in its wide support for Java and XML. Thanks to XML and related technologies like XSLT and Web Services, users can access the system from a variety of geographical locations using a wide range of interfaces such as web browsers, web TV, email services, PDA, WAP (cellphones) and other media. XML enables efficient data exchange between independent systems and ensures that such exchange is low in resource consumption and easy to implement. For instance integration with third party servers such as FedEX, UPS or products such as Peachtree and Filemaker is quick and therefore less expensive.
Rainforest framework has been developed to meet the highest security standards, ensuring that optimal
controls protect your data and applications at all levels. Rainforest multi-level security includes:
- secure connections between application clients and the web server using Server Socket Layer and certificates
- authorized access to the application based on custom services or on a choice of existing industry standards such as LDAP or Active Directory
- utilization of a data encryption layer to protect secure data in the database
Rainforest Framework uses carefully pre-selected open source components from reputable communities that include Apache, Jakarta, Java community Process, Exolab, Source Forge and others. Use of Open Source components ensures a high level of functionality, long term flexibility allows the framework to keep up with the latest technologies. The availability of open source components also allows the development process to become more cost and time effective and ensures that a Client can more easily find third party vendors to support their product should they decide that such a solution is preferred.
The Rainforest Framework constitutes a toolkit for developers allowing them to efficiently integrate core components and concentrate on application logic. The unique solutions included in the toolkit allow both users and developers to build scalable web-based applications in a rapid and time-effective manner. Reusable components and services based on plugin architecture keep development costs as low as possible.
Utilizing Leading Industry Standards
Rainforest Framework is built utilizing only the leading industry standards for enterprise grade software development including:
- J2EE 4-tier Application Architecture
- Web User Interface based on XML and XSLT transformations
- Database access through DBO, EJB or JDO layer
- XML interface to data inter applications exchange
- Export Interfaces to industry standard formats such as XML, Excel, CSV etc.
- XSLT Processor on the server side transformation for wide range content distribution
- Web Services Interface to access Rainforest Framework features for third party solutions
- Agent Services for scheduled jobs execution
- Mail Services with Mail Template extensions
- Security and Users Management Services
- Web Cache for performance optimization
- Logging and Statistical Services
- Availability Monitoring Services
- JMX management
- Load balancing for high accessibility and high performance systems
In summary, Rainforest utilizes today's leading technology ensuring your company or organization the ultimate long-term flexibility. In short, Business Evolves... Rainforest Adapts. We invite you to take advantage of our FREE DEMO.